1) Thanks, Robin Williams: “You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.”
2) Steering wheel dancing: With fingers and hands, that is.
When I’m in my car, waiting for the light to turn green, I like to pull this one out. As I just did when I stopped at a red light behind a car with two children in their back seat facing me. I start my 2 pointer fingers dancing on top of the steering wheel, then point at the 2 kiddos.
They’re entranced–and then begin their own finger dance, giggling. It’s a long red light, so I have time to pump up my music and add some head and upper torso bopping. More giggling. When the light turns green I receive two shy little waves goodbye.
Then we’re all halted again down the road at the next red light. One child tentatively, but immediately, starts up her finger dancing, watching me intently. I jump in right away, as does her sister. Magic.
3) Heaven in a jar: Talenti Sea Salt Caramel Gelato. Maybe you’re already hooked?
Unbelievably creamy, not-too-sweet caramel gelato with chocolate covered nuggets of gooey caramel. (Thanks, Mary Ann, for turning us on to this!) The Double Dark Chocolate is also scrumptious. Need to add a little spring to your step? Savor a bite or two of this gelato right out of the container. Around $5 a pint container at my Whole Foods–also sold at some supermarkets.
4) Rainbow maker: If you buy a solar-powered rainbow maker and have a window that gets sun, you can enjoy some extra enchantment every day there’s a little sunshine. Attachable by a suction cup, the crystal is rotated by the nifty solar-powered gears and refracts light all over your walls in a dazzling dance. Mesmerizing….and inspiring.
I have a double, i.e. 2 crystals (believe me, I need the extra sparkle). This will set you back about $36 from the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) store, and can be ordered online. I see from Target’s website that they sell single crystal rainbow makers for around $20. My rainbow maker has been adding shimmer to the house for years. Love it!
5) Best dinner ever: If you’re in Boston, check out The Regal Beagle, 308 Harvard Street, Brookline. 617.739.5151. I had one of the best meals I’ve ever had anywhere when I went with the fam last week.
Perfectly cooked, sweet scallops encrusted by a pistachio brittle and glistening in a port wine cherry glaze–luscious. With a yummy butternut squash risotto so much better than mine that I would have been sad except my ecstatic palate wouldn’t let me be! Inventive menu, delicious preparation, exceptional and unpretentious service, surprisingly affordable prices. Wow.